The University of Leicester will be hosting 2 Year 12 Residentials in July 2019.
On Summer School students will stay in Halls of Residence, take part in academic sessions and a number of social activities to give a taste of life as a first year university student.
Our friendly Student Mentors will be on hand to answer any questions participants may have, and we’ll be surrounding the academic activities with plenty of Information, Advice and Guidance sessions to help make sense of the UCAS process.
Students can choose to attend one of the following strands:
Week A | Monday 1st July – Thursday 4th July 2019
· Law & Criminology
Week B | Monday 8th July – Thursday 11th July 2019
· Humanities and Social Sciences
The Year 12 Residential Summer School is completely free to attend, and travel costs can be reimbursed to and from Leicester.
Our activities are open to all pupils in the year group individual activities are aimed at, but, if an event is oversubscribed, priority is given to those who fulfil one or more of the following:
- Live in an area identified as a Pathways or NCOP Ward (determined by home postcode)
- Be the first in their family to consider attending university
- Be in receipt of free school meals
- Be in or have spent time in local authority care
- Are a young carer
- Have a disability including specific learning difficulties such as dyslexia, dyspraxia or ADHD
Anyone interested in attending the Summer School will need to complete an “Expressions of Interest” form at: www.le.ac.uk/summerschool
Application forms will be sent to those students who fulfil one or more of the above eligibility criteria.
- Students will choose one week to attend and one academic strand to follow
- We will welcome students to the University of Leicester from 11:30am on Monday. Monday will be an orienteering day with a chance to meet other students on the Summer School, find their bearings in Halls of Residence and get to know their Mentors for the week
- Throughout the week there will be a mixture of academic and university-social activities to give a feel for life as a first year university student
- Students will be able to leave from 10:30am on Thursday
Final details, including timetables and exact timings of activities will be communicated out to any successful applicant.
Please let students know that completing the expression of interest form does not guarantee a place on the Summer School.
The University of Leicester is pretty easy to get to via train, coach or car travel. All details on how to get to the event will be sent out to successful applicants.