On Wednesday 1st November 2017, the University of Oxford, in partnership with Oxford Brookes and Buckinghamshire New Universities, will be hosting the Study Higher Year 10 Academic Conference where the subject focus will be Humanities and Social Sciences.
Please note that places are limited to 75 therefore early booking is recommended.
In March 2018 a similar Conference will be hosted by the University of Oxford in partnership with the University of Reading, where the subject focus will be science subjects. Further details will be available nearer to the time.
The event is free to attend and Study Higher will reimburse the full cost of coach/minibus hire or travel by school minibus, after the event. Please refer to our FAQ for more information on travel expenses and what information is required for travel claims.
The event will provide the opportunity to:
- Introduce students to new subjects that are available at higher education
- Go on a tour of an Oxford College
- Meet current students from each of the universities and ask them questions about their experiences of university and university life
- Students will have the opportunity to attend two subject taster sessions in Humanities and Social Sciences.
- Teachers will also have the opportunity to attend brief information sessions on activities and resources available to schools and students. No sign up is required for this.
- A copy of the programme can be downloaded here.
Who can attend?
Study Higher provides outreach events and activities to students who live in particular areas across Berkshire, Buckinghamshire, Oxfordshire and Swindon. Study Higher target schools are invited to bring a maximum of 10 students each. Students who meet the below criteria should be prioritised when selecting participants for the event:
- Be eligible for free school meals
- Have parent(s)/guardian(s) who did not attend university
- Live in local authority care, or has lived in care
- Is a young carer
- Is disabled or has a specific learning difficulty
- Is of black or minority ethnic origin
How to apply
- Firstly, to register their interest, schools are required to enter the details of up to 10 students who wish to attend via our online booking form by 29 September 2017.
- The school representative will then be contacted via the email address provided, for further details including which subject taster sessions students wish to attend*. Returning this information completes the booking process. Places will be confirmed shortly afterwards.
If you have any dietary or access requirements, please specify on the booking form and a member of the team will get in contact with you to make arrangements.
* Every effort will be made to try to accommodate students’ preferences. Places will be allocated on a first come first served bases and subject to demand.